Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Packing is stressful.

I realized that I'm nearing the single digits in my countdown, so I decided that I really needed to get a move on with cleaning and packing.

How in the world am I going to fit my life into 2 suitcases? Luckily IcelandAir allows two checked baggages, so there's a little help. Today was round 2 of going through my clothes and taking out things that I really don't need. Hopefully it helps a bit. I'm actually just concerned about lugging all my luggage onto the train. I'm debating on whether or not to stay in Paris for a couple of days before I head to Béthune. The only thing that's holding me back from definitely staying in Paris is all my luggage and wanting to get to settled into my studio right away. The teacher I've been in contact with says that it'd be better for me to arrive on a weekday, since the person who's in charge of the studios will be around then.

In addition, I'm trying to figure out what exactly/how much to put into my carry-on. Should I use my backpack or a rolling duffel? The rolling duffel would be useful for when I travel around Europe for short vacations, so I want to take it. But the backpack is something that I can put on my back and so I could perhaps have a free hand when roaming around the airport/train station. Or do I just stuff my backpack in my suitcase or maybe use it as extra checked baggage if needed? My planned baggage right now is a large suitcase and a large duffel (that I can probably stick on top of the suitcase when rolling it around) plus a carryon.

Any advice, tips, etc. on this would be very, very helpful. I haven't traveled in 11 years!

5 comments:

  1. I wish I had some great, sound advice but I honestly don't know how to pack for 7 months :P The only thing I'm doing that I think will help is bringing clothes that are very versatile like jeans and black tights, some clothes that are getting old that I will likely leave in France if I need the space, and bringing limited number of tops that are not hard to match with.

    Also take weather into consideration. For instance, if I'm bringing a tank-top for warm weather, I make sure it matches with at least 2 tops that would act as a second layer for not-so-warm weather, like a hoodie or a button-up long-sleeved shirt.

    I haven't really considered taking my comforter or anything other than my pillow pet, though I'm very tempted to bring my pillow because I just LOVE the way it feels on my skin and the smell. Kinda like a blankie for a little kid :P

    I think bringing your backpack inside the luggage would be a good idea if you think your rolling duffel (which I've never heard of but can image what it is) would be really good for traveling in Europe :)

    That's all the advice I've got really...sorry if it isn't super helpful :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use two giant suitcases for the ones that you are checking on the plane. The longest I've been gone from is six weeks and I had the biggest bags that you've ever seen. A large carry-on is also good and remember that you're allowed one personal item too - think large tote bag. If you have the travel bags that fold into compact little things, take those so that you can bring things back from your travels.

    Don't forget headphones for the plane and a sweatshirt since it might be cold. Good reading material - magazines and books - are helpful too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the above posts. I would only add that you're moving to France, so you will most likely be eager to take advantage of their clothing sales. From December-January and in July, the retailers in France have enormous discounts. You'll probably want to bring those clothes home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeez Nicole why do you need so much stuff!

    When my cousin just recently moved to Japan for the year, she had her bags sent from the airport to where she was staying... I don't know if they would have this option in France. It definitely helped her a lot because she also had to travel by train after landing.

    You could do rolling duffel as your carry on, and have your backpack as a personal item, or just stuff it into a suitcase if you want to have a tote or handbag. I like to have a backpack instead of a tote when I fly long-haul, seems easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Repeat: don't bring so many clothes! there are clothing shops in france, if anything, H&M, Zara and Mango are staples and if you need a Forever 21 fix, it just opened here on Oxford Street ... Less clothes, more undies and socks! :)

    ReplyDelete