Dimanche 2 octobre 2011
So I have been getting too lazy to update my blog as often as I had hoped. Also, I don’t have Internet in my studio yet. :( So this will be a pictureless post since I’m doing this from a school computer. We should be getting Internet by January, but other assistants and I were thinking about buying une clé, which basically an Internet stick… you stick into your USB port to get Internet access. Unfortunately, we need a bankcard or a bank check. Since we all just opened our bank account, we should be getting all of that in a week.
With a lot of help with one of the teachers, I was able to finish all of the paperwork needed (I hope) and open a bank account on Thursday. I also got a cell phone yesterday (pay as you go, it’s a super outdated Nokia, but eh, it works haha).
I’ve been able to sleep a good amount and take naps. I don’t know if it’s because I’m still used to sleeping for 9-10 hours at home or I’m still catching up on sleep, but I think eventually I will become used to a schedule.
I ate dinner at the cantine for the first time the other night. I had my own pizza—it was a personal pizza, but not like the size of the personal pan from pizza, but close to a medium size. I ended up taking half of mine back with me to eat for my lunch today.
Yesterday, I went to the supermarché, which is about a 10-minute walk, and was able to get some things I needed and it’ll be useful to know for the future. Everything is pretty much within walking distance, so that’s good. Also, luckily, my foot has been fine… no real pain, even when getting out of bed, thank God! Melissa, another American assistant who is living in the same dormitory (but is teaching at les colleges, or middle schools), and I went across the street to the library to see if we could get Internet. Luckily, we were able to use their computers, although it seemed as if their Internet Explorer was really outdated. I wasn’t able to reply to any gchats I received! We plan on going back to get a library card (we need our proof of residence) so we can have a little more access to the computers.
Last night, the German and Mexican assistants in my building (both named Yvonne, spelled differently I think) and I met up with two other English assistants, Erin and Dharsh in the centre-ville. It got so frustrating, because at the first place we went to, it took us 20 minutes to even get a menu and they never came back to take our order, so we just left. The next place we went to seemed a bit understaffed for the amount of people there, so we waited another 20 minutes before leaving, to our last try before Subway (there’s a Subway, like the sandwich place, here and apparently they sell beer…). We were able to get drinks in 10 minutes and so we finally got relax and chat for a bit. I mean, maybe it’s the French culture to have to wait that long, but we were getting really impatient. Also, while sitting outside Beff (the last place we ended up), Erin and I were just observing all the other girls around and what they were wearing and how they were holding their bags. We were also wondering if our appearance had anything to do with our service, since we looked bummy in comparison to them, and not exactly European (even though we do have one German among us…) Anyways, that was fun being able to hang out with other assistants, especially since I feel somewhat lonely and bored in my studio for now. I am also really glad that my studio is a 2-minute walk from the centre-ville.
Today, I got up for church, hoping that I would find some place since I had no idea where the church was that some lady had told me about. Luckily, there is one right on the other side of the beffroi and I found Melissa! After mass, I came back to the studio, had a lunch of baguette and Camembert cheese, watched some episodes of HIMYM and took a nap. Melissa and I then decided to stop at a hotel in the centre-ville because there was a sign for free wifi. We were able to get the password, but unfortunately it would only let one of us on at a time, me on my iPod and Melissa on her iPad. In the middle of checking my email, my parents called me on my cell phone! I was really happy to hear from them because I have been feeling a bit home sick. I’m not sure why it really kicked in now, but I think it’s because I don’t have internet/wifi where I can easily chat or video chat with them. I did feel better after talking to them. Afterwards, Melissa went back to the church, Saint Vaast, where there were having a free organ and choir concert (from Paris). The inside of the church is beautiful (pictures later) and it was a nice concert. It makes me wish that I had tried to cultivate my musical talent more when I was younger, but it’s ok. I still appreciate music like that.
So now, here I am. My dinner was one of those chicken and rice meals you have to microwave, not too exciting, and my dessert was a pain au chocolat (bread with chocolate inside). I have yet to go to one of the actual bakeries, but I did pass by one on the way back from church and it smells so good! I plan on going there after I finish this baguette.
My studio is a short walking distance from a lot of places, except apparently the store that can be compared to a Target or Wal-Mart. Less than 5 minutes to the beffroi (bell tower, kind of the landmark of Béthune) and centre-ville (with a bunch of stores and restaurants), and the church, Saint Vaast, and my lycée. About a 10-minute walk to the Carrefour Market (supermarket… basically like a Kroger), and a less than 10-minute walk to La Banque Postal (my bank and also a post office).
I officially start tomorrow! They told me that I’ll do about 3 weeks of observations (up until the Vacances de Toussaints – All Saints Day/fall vacation) and then afterwards, I’ll have my own groups to teach. Tomorrow, I observe 3 different classes, so I’m excited slash slightly scared. I’ll also have to introduce myself and they get to ask me questions… joy.
Crossing my fingers and praying for a good first week! I will hopefully get to update more after I (hopefully) get my own Internet. I figured that since I only have to pay utilities and am saving money with rent, I can shell out some money for Internet until we actually get it… crossing my fingers and praying for that as well!
you'll find in general that on this side of the pond, service is very much not like american service standards. this is also why there isn't a tipping culture; at least in the UK, servers are paid a living wage and don't have to work extra for their tips. try not to be so typically american about things and it'll be fine! and the whole point of getting together for meals isn't just to eat and get good service, it's to enjoy each other's company and the occasion.
ReplyDelete