Friday, April 13, 2012

Brussels

About a month ago, I went on a weekend trip to Brussels, a mere 35 minutes away from Lille (shorter than the long train from Béthune to Lille, thanks to the TGV). All in all, it wasn't super exciting compared to other trips.

When emerging from the métro when we first arrived, I didn't get that overwhelming feeling, that "wow, I can't believe I'm actually here!" The hotel we stayed at was closer to the financial district, so my first impression was just a bunch of tall buildings. Seeing the architecture in the Grande Place was nice, but of course, it's basically the same as the towns around this region.

Being insanely poor after winter vacation, we wandered a lot. Chocolate was literally around every corner and I don't know how I resisted. Of course, I had the Belgian waffles (gaufres), fries, beer, and a little bit of chocolate, so I figured I had everything covered. The rest of the trip, I will just tell in pictures...

Just a small portion of the pre-Easter chocolate display

La Grande Place

Cathedral

A little market near the Grande Place
 
La Maison et Musée des Brasseurs Belges (Belgian Beer museum)

 
Manneken Pis dressed up for St. Patrick's Day (had to see this,  as requested by my dad)

Inside the Musée des Bandes Dessinés (Comics)


Schtroumpf (smurf)!


Frites... got nothing on Chez Pepito though...

No comments:

Post a Comment